The book that I am referring to is Mummies by Joyce Milton. This nonfiction book takes you step by step as King Khufu gets mummified. It also explains why the ancient Egyptians believed that they should mummify their king. It explains the Egyptian's beliefs about life after death. After explaining what happens during the mummification process the book goes on to describe how the king is put in his tomb, as well as how it is sealed so that the king will be protected.
The information that was written in the book was factual and authentic. The reason that I can say this is because the author had help in writing the book. The person that helped her was James F. Romano, Ph.D., Curator, for the Department of Egyptian, Classical, and Ancient Middle Eastern Art at the Brooklyn Museum.
This book is simple to understand and full of interesting information. If you're looking for a book with lots of information on mummies, then this is the book for you! Hope you enjoy it!

This definitely makes me want to read about Mummies! I think this would be a great way to encourage students read nonfictions stories. I know my little brother would love to read this story and learn more about mummies! Great Blog!
ReplyDeleteFransisca,
ReplyDeleteThis was a great blog about your nonfiction book! I have never been very interested in mummies, but after reading your summary, I want to know more! I think learning about the process of mummification would be incredibly enlightening. I'm sure this book would also open my eyes to the beliefs of other cultures.
Also, you did a great job on checking the accuracy of this book. It is very important to double check the facts in books before allowing students to read them. Keep up the great work!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete
DeleteFransisca, this post was so great! I have to admit that mummies have never been my greatest interest, but after reading this post, it makes me want to read this book! I love how you related the book to a real life situation with your brother! I also appreciate that you included information about the author and the help they had in making sure the book's facts were completely authentic. This is definitely a book I would include in my class library, especially since I know the book is accurate and has reliable information in it. Great post!
Fransisca, you did an excellent job describing this book. I like the fact your opening paragraph has a personal experience about this book. I have always found mummies fascinating to learn about. I know I would love to read this to my class one day. Thank you for informing us about this nonfiction book.
ReplyDeleteI was always fascinated about mummies when I was in grade school. My 4th grade quest class did a culminating assessment on Egypt, and it was so much fun. I think I would enjoy reading this book, and would bring back memories from the culminating assessment we completed. I think this would be a great book to read in the class that the student's would enjoy.
ReplyDelete